Wednesday, February 3, 2016

31 Years Ago...

Cameron Edward Price 3/21/85 - 6/25/85
31 years now. Seems time has flown by. Cameron was born with Dextrocardia and RAI. He had multiple heart defects and holes between the tissue dividing both sides of his heart. It caused problems with the blood returning from the lungs to the heart. He was to undergo 3 major surgeries where the surgeons would reconfigure his heart and circulatory system. He made it through the first one, but got an infection that he just couldn't get rid of and had a hard time fighting off.
31 years ago, not much was known about heterotaxy and NO support groups even existed. Trust me when I say, I was TOTALLY alone in this fight for my son and unbearable grief. I blamed myself, my husband and I even blamed God. I screamed, yelled, begged, pleaded, but NOTHING prepares you for the grief that comes upon you.

Over the years I have explained what heterotaxy is and how it has affected my entire life, but people who have never had a really sick child, yet alone a child that died, have no idea what it's like. I've learned to live with the heartache, but I have a tiny piece of my heart named Cameron that will never heal. I'll always wonder "what could have been," but at least I got to have "what was" for a short, brief time. And for that, I'll be eternally grateful.

Juliann Price ~ Mom to Heterotaxy Hero, Cameron

Cameron has 4 siblings: Daymun (29), RiAnn (27), Jade (26), and Jena (25)
Juliann is also grandmother to Aidyn (3 1/2) & Travis (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment